Spartan Times

Common STD’s

Ladaysha Creighton

The common STD is a sexually transmitted disease. Herpes simplex virus also known as HSV is an infection that causes herpes. Herpes can appear in  various parts of the body, a most common part is on the genitals or mouth. There are two types of different HSV. HSV-1 , known as oral herpes, can cause cold sores and fever blisters around the mouth and on the face. HSV-2 the infected person may have sores around the genitals and rectum. Sometimes they can occur in other locations such as below the waist. There is no cures for herpes, but although  you could relieve symptoms by taking treatments. Medication could decrease the pain and shorten healing time. Chlamydia is a very small parasite that’s like a virus. Its an sexually transmitted infection that may or may not cause symptoms. This spreads by sexual contact. It can be treated by a medical professional and resolves within 5-7 days or even up to weeks. Lab tests and imaging are required when going to get treated. Gonorrhea is a venereal disease involving inflammatory discharge from the urethra or vagina. Some symptoms may be swelling or redness around private areas, sore throat and etc. It  can be treated  with the right treatment . although medication will stop the infection it will not undo any damages caused by the disease. HIV stands for  human immunodeficiency virus. By damaging your immune system, HIV interferes with your body’s ability to fight the organisms that cause disease. Pain in areas in the abdomen, cough can be dry, difficulty swallowing or soreness, and etc. HIV is treated using a combination of medicines to fight HIV infection. HIV causes AIDs and interferes with the body’s ability to fight infections. AIDs  is a disease in which there is a severe loss of the body’s cellular immunity. Some symptoms of AIDs is weight loss, fever or night sweats , fatigue, and recurrent infections. This spreads by sexual contact. The virus can be carried through contact with infected blood, semen, or vaginal fluids. It could last for years or be a lifelong situation.  It can’t be cured,  but treatment may help the symptoms. All in all some STD’s can be cured or some may stay with you. Make sure to be careful at all times and to be tested regularly when sexually active.