Spartan Times

Congresswoman visits school to present prestigious award

Justin Rimpi

Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz is a representative for Florida’s 23rd Congressional District. She is also the Chair of the DNC or the Democratic National Committee. That is essentially the main arm of the Democratic Party, which along with the Republican Party constitutes one of the two parties of the American political system. When Congresswoman Schultz came to visit HHHS, it was not for political reasons, but it was instead to present a deserving young woman with a very prestigious award.

That young woman was Heleema Irfan. She received the “Make her Mark” Award. Ms. Irfan is currently a student at the HHHS Military Academy. This award is presented every year to one young woman in District 23 whom exemplifies great community service.

“My annual “Make Her Mark” Award goes to Haleema Irfan… She is a young woman who volunteers her time throughout our community, including DiMaggio Children’s Hospital, the Everglades, and her high school. Congratulations Haleema!

I’m proud to present this award each year to a woman who exemplifies tenacious, bold leadership here in South Florida. Thank you to this year’s judges – Laurie Rich Levinson, School Board Member of Broward County; Loretta Young, who serves as my Service Academy Board Chair; and WPLG Local 10 Reporter Liane Morejon,” Said Congresswoman Schultz.

This is certainly a great award and it went to an extremely deserving candidate. Lt. Colonel John DeVillez first nominated Ms. Irfan for this award. “Once I saw this award in my Cab Conference, Ms. Irfan was the first person whom came to my mind,” Said DeVillez.

This certainly is an extremely proud moment not only for the HHHS Military Academy, but also for the whole school itself.