The student news site of Hollywood Hills High School

Spartan Times

Students attempt to kick out cancer for a fellow Spartan

Justin Rimpi

There are very few things that will be done at HHHS this year, if ever that will go to such a tremendous cause. That cause was a fund-raising effort undertaken by both students and faculty to raise money for one of their fellow Spartans. That fellow Spartan was senior Michael Newnham whom was dealt the unfortunate diagnosis of a Brain Tumor. This diagnosis came down to Mr. Newnham earlier in the 2015-2016 school year. “This is an extremely difficult situation for Michael. I am happy to do anything that I could to help him,” Said senior Alejandro Osorio.

Unfortunately, Mr. Newnham is unable to pay all of his immense medical bills and that is where HHHS and especially HOPE teacher Cathy Kontsis decided to step in. Kontsis decided to try to help Mr. Newnham pay for his medical bills a “Crazy Kickball Game” should pit the juniors and seniors up against the faculty of HHHS. In order to watch the game it would cost $2 and to play in the game it would cost $5. Donations were also accepted that would go directly to Mr. Newnham is his valiant fight against such a diagnosis. Half of the proceeds from the game itself would also go to Mr. Newnham.

Even though, a “Crazy Kickball Game” was played by the faculty and students, it was not the top thing on everyone’s mind.  As Mr. Newnham looked on from the first row of the bleachers a game was played.

The teacher’s looked like the superior team from the first time they got the opportunity to kick. They got off to a strong start as they were up by a score of 7-0 before the students even got a chance to kick for the first time.  As the students kicked for the first time they put up four runs and the score was 7-4. The teachers put up another 8 runs which made the score 15-4.

The students never got any closer to the students all throughout the game. The final score was 16-9 with the teachers emerging victorious. “I really had a great time playing in this game. Knowing it was going toward such a great cause made it even better,” Said junior Nicholas Marinelli.

This truly was a great event that went to an extremely noble cause and thank you to everyone that was involved.  A special thank you goes out to Mrs. Konstis for setting up this whole event. Get better soon Michael, we all rooting for you and in your corner.

“Sometimes the strength within you is not a fiery flame that all can see, it is just a tiny spark that whispers softly, you got this, keep going.”- multiple individuals