The student news site of Hollywood Hills High School

Spartan Times

Teenage Road Tragedies

Ladaysha Creighton

Having the privilege to drive at an early age is a valuable advantage. Some high schools give students the opportunity to take a drivers test to get a driver’s permit. In order to get a chance to take the class you will need to be at least 15 years old. Having this driver’s permit does not mean you could drive, you could drive on your own but with a parent or someone over 18 years old. Teens sometimes don’t always follow the rules. when earning a permit they use it as a driver’s license and drive wherever and whenever they want without adult supervision. Doing that type of act can cause dangerous accidents that could fatally injure another. Car accidents are the number one cause of deaths among teenagers in the United States. Statics states 56% of teens said they talk on the phone while driving. Also nine of ten teens reported it was common to see other teens talk and drive on the road. Social media like Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter , and etc had been an activity teens use on the road. Texting and driving is another thing that causes this type of tragedies for innocent teens. Sixteen year olds have higher crash rates than drivers of any other age. 33% of deaths among 13 to 19 year olds in 2010 occurred in motor vehicle accidents. Not only cars are affecting some teens lives, but also motor vehicles  which includes dirt bikes, motorcycle, and motor bikes. Driving these things without helmets or any protection can lead to  serious mishaps. In 2014, 2,270 teens in the United States ages 16-19 were killed and 221,313 were treated in emergency departments for injuries suffered in motor vehicle crashes. On the roads teens need to be careful of their surroundings and what is ahead of them, and put all the distractions to  the side and drive safely to prevent the number of lives we are losing today throughout the world.